[TYPO3-english] Oracle & Typo3 + TV

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 29 07:49:29 CEST 2009

Ries van Twisk wrote:
>> The worst possible way to solve the problem is to do everything in
>> house. It is always better to ask the developer instead of trying to
>> do it in house. It saves you time and money, gives you credit in the
>> extension manual and also solves the problem. It is always better than
>> the in house failure!
> Please don't see this as a personal attack but...
>
> The developer doesn't always have time and it's sometimes even very hard
> to get in contact with them.
> I made a patch to a extensions a couple of times and more then often I
> get nothign back or I get back 'Sorry I cannot bla bla bla, I am very
> buzy.. bla bla bla but thank you'
> Replies like that often put's me off to even bother to get in contact
> with a developer nowdays.

No offense meant to anyone, just trying to explain the not-so-ideal
situations in real life...

The same happens when you file a bug report in forge complete with a
patch. It not exceptional that it takes several months for the issue to
be resolved. I can't really blame the developer because (s)he also has
to make a living, but it's not a practical solution to try to hire the
developer to solve the problem.
Most of the time the person/company who encounters the problem also has
to meet a deadline. In the example of Oracle + TV, it means that the
problem has to be solved before the normal site building can be started
(otherwise you have to migrate the database also). This means that there
are only a couple of days available (already extra time in the project)
to solve the problem or alternative ways to build the site have to be found.

> Second,  I know there have been patched made for TV, but they where not
> accepted because they where to big (go figure!)

Even small patches can take a long time before they are accepted. In the
mean time you cannot update the extension without applying your own
patch(es) to that new version.

> Third, no core devs except Xavier is interested in Oracle by looking at
> the number of reminders for Oracle support in DBAL,
> who is going to test TV against oracle???

Most people won't even try using Oracle after seeing the long list of
problems. DBAL is a nice idea, but it isn't really a DataBase
Abstraction Layer (it's more like a DataBase Compatibility Patching Layer).
Trying to be compatible with a whole range of DBMSs on query level means
that each DBMS is used in a suboptimal way. Hopefully this is a thing of
the past with TYPO3 v5, but for the near future I can't really recommend
anything other than MySQL for TYPO3.
It is however pretty odd that TYPO3 officially supports a range of
DBMSs, but core devs apparently don't have these available for the
necessary positive votes from a core dev?

Regards,

--
Jigal van Hemert.