[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon Jul 6 12:08:34 CEST 2009

> Hi Jigal
>

> > Even before setting up a certification Program there need to be
> information
> > about a defined MINIMUM standard in Hardware and Software Requirements
> and
> > this is not enough as it needs also an example setting of a TYPO3 Server
> > environment which will be usable as a hosting platform. And
> Securityissues
> > should matter too!
>
> This will indeed be arranged. You can't have a certification without
> sufficient information for the people/company who wants to be certified.

This would be the first step which is really necessary Thanks!

> > Instead of reducing the groups of hosters to some "certified TYPO3
> Hosters"
> > it would be much better to spread the word about how to setup an ideal or
> > most optimum Server/Hosting surrounding for everybody!
>
> Why only one or the other?

The point is that everyone should have the chance to be a qualified TYPO3
Hoster and therefore he needs qualified information on how to setup such an
environment and this is missing at this point, even many threads where
asking about hosting TYPO3 already on the Lists. A frustrated Customer will
first blame the developer but finally it will be always TYPO3 and this harms
us all. As we can't avoid people with hosting their sites at non certified
hosters it would be much better to get those hosters TYPO3 enabled.

> > certification Program alone won't help at all as Ries already
> demonstrated
> > on MS Certification and in a similar way also the TYPO3 integrated
> Developer
> > Certification.
>
> Any certification program has a few goals/benefits: someone can prove
> that he has sufficient knowledge (either gained from an education, or by
> himself) on a subject and other can easily verify this.
> What is the point of having certificates/diplomas/degrees of course and
> education someone has followed in his life?

You can hang them on the wall, yeah perhaps scan them in and show them on
the website. All my jobs I have got until now in all my professions I have
never got because of a certificate but because of my reputation and jobs I
have done before. I am living in a country where you get certificates for
nearly everything and here really such a certificate is very very important
- as it looks good in your office - That's all and nothing more! Go to
Causan Road and get even your own certificate - who cares - noone. Here
people are always looking for references and not some letters written on a
paper. The only important papers here are a BACHELOR DEGREE or a MASTER
DEGREE or PHD, and this is only necessary to get into the innergroup of
chosen people for a job.

When you go to online jobboards for Software Developers, there are so many
coders which are brilliant even in TYPO3 and perhaps outstitch any
integrated Developer Species. It is really depending on where and which
market you want to conquer with TYPO3.

> A hosting company which wants to have clients from the "TYPO3-market"
> will get certified. If a company is not interested in these clients,
> certification has no use for that company.

Wrong. As many companies host their websites by their own or on the server
of their developer and exactly here starts the problem as those servers
mostly leak on very essential stuff, especially in terms of security.

> > Most often those certifications are misleading people and also taking
> away
> > the responsibility of clients to do a qualified research before choosing
> > developer or agency.
>
> How can most clients do a 'qualified research' without a lot of
> technical knowledge? They could consult an expert, but how do they
> select an expert?

A research is not done by checking of a developer or a company or a hoster
is certified. A research starts in reading comments from others, reviews
about the company and the developer with no matter if he or they have a
certification or not. But until now there isn't any resource for HOSTERS to
read about their benefits and backdrops, A Developer has got his site and
his references. As a customer I would simply pick out 2 - 5 references and
phone them and ask them about the developer or customer before I would start
a bigger project with them. There is so much more important than a
certificate. i.e. Customer Support, Flexibility, On Time Development,
Quality of work ... which you can't read out of any certificate.

The same should be able with TYPO3 Hosters. If they would list a list of
referenced TYPO3 Projects hosted on their servers than you could simply
phone them and ask them about Service, 365/24/7 Online Chat or Phone
Support, Their responsetimes beside the major TYPO3 Question - How is your
TYPO3 Site running on this server, do you have ssh access, and so much more.

> > It is the same with all those other certification
> > programs which boom at the moment more and more. In 98% of cases a
> > Certification simply means nothing else, that a company had the money at
> one
> > point to invest in a silver, gold, platinum or what else certificate -
> > Examples Magento, eZPublish, and many more and more upcoming OSS Projects
> in
> > future. It is about money and not about quality or reliability and
> security.
>
> If a certification can just be bought then the certificate is useless.
> At least the MySQL, PHP and TYPO3 certifications involve a tiny bit more
> than just money. Or, how much does a "TYPO3 certified integrator"
> certificate cost if you don't want to take the exam??

About 40€ or Emule ;-)

All tests which aren't created every time setup completely from scratch are
simply doable!
The goal cannot be who is best in learning it by heart!

The goal must be to get ALL to be good Developers, ALL to be good Hosters,
... and therefore you need good information and trainings, tutorials ...

> A Community like the TYPO3 Community would benefit most in not going into
> > the same direction, but instead spreading the word about how to HOST
> TYPO3
> > so that more and more hosters provide a valuable, performant and secure
> > hosting place which will create more and more HAPPY TYPO3 Clients which
> > spread the word to new clients. "Inspire people to share" like said
> before!
>
> In general clients ask for certifications. To them it's impossible to do
> good research and a certificate is easy proof of knowledge and
> capabilities.
> Of course the documentation for hosters must become publically
> available, but a certificate can be valuable for both the hoster and the
> client (and the developer).

Like said above this might happen still in some western societies, here not.
Of course everything gets lots of certificates here too even ISO here and
there, but finally it is always the references you can show to the customer.

> Regards,

Andi