[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 6 15:46:10 CEST 2009

Hi Andi,

Andreas Becker wrote:
>>> Even before setting up a certification Program there need to be
>>> information about a defined MINIMUM standard in Hardware and
>>> Software Requirements and this is not enough as it needs also an
>>>  example setting of a TYPO3 Server environment which will be
>>> usable as a hosting platform. And Securityissues should matter
>>> too!
>> This will indeed be arranged. You can't have a certification
>> without sufficient information for the people/company who wants to
>>  be certified.
> This would be the first step which is really necessary Thanks!

Oops, typo on my part: "This will indeed *have to* be arranged."; I'm
not that much into system administration that I can write documentation
about that. (Sorry)

>>> Instead of reducing the groups of hosters (...) it would be much
>>> better to spread the word about how to setup a (..)
>>> Server/Hosting surrounding for everybody!
>> Why only one or the other?
>
> The point is that everyone should have the chance to be a qualified
> TYPO3 Hoster and therefore he needs qualified information

I agree, but we should have documentation in the first place and
certification after that.

> frustrated Customer will first blame the developer but finally it
> will be always TYPO3 and this harms us all.

And by having certified hosters a customer can select a hosting company
which is at least capable of setting up a good environment for TYPO3.

> As we can't avoid people with hosting their sites at non certified
> hosters it would be much better to get those hosters TYPO3 enabled.

Even if there is documentation available many hosting companies have
reasons *not* to have the hosting set up with the options TYPO3 needs.
For a developer it should be easier to have a website running correctly
with a certified hoster.
In your contract with a customer you can then have different clauses for
certified and non-certified hosters.

>> this. What is the point of having certificates/diplomas/degrees of
>> course and education someone has followed in his life?
> You can hang them on the wall, yeah perhaps scan them in and show
> them on the website. All my jobs I have got until now in all my
> professions I have never got because of a certificate but because of

That is your personal experience. The situation differs from country to
country.

If your customers don't care about a certification then you simply don't
get certified!

> When you go to online jobboards for Software Developers, there are so
> many coders which are brilliant even in TYPO3 and perhaps outstitch
> any integrated Developer Species. It is really depending on where
> and which market you want to conquer with TYPO3.

True. For many countries in the world certification is an added value,
for many it isn't. That's no reason to be against certification in
general :-)

>> A hosting company which wants to have clients from the
>> "TYPO3-market" will get certified. If a company is not interested
>> in these clients, certification has no use for that company.
>
> Wrong. As many companies host their websites by their own or on the
> server of their developer and exactly here starts the problem as
> those servers mostly leak on very essential stuff, especially in
> terms of security.

If a customer wants to host the site on their own server, the developer
must have in his contract that he cannot garantee that it will work on
the customers server. If the developer sold the hosting too, the
customer could ask if he's a certified hoster.

> A research is not done by checking of a developer or a company or a
> hoster is certified. A research starts in reading comments from
> others, reviews about the company and the developer with no matter if
> he or they have a certification or not. But until now there isn't
> any resource for HOSTERS to read about their benefits and backdrops,

For 'normal' hosting providers there are a couple of (independent) sites
in the Netherlands where you can compare the packets they sell plus read
the feedback from their clients. I agree that it would be useful to have
such a site for TYPO3 hosters.

> All tests which aren't created every time setup completely from
> scratch are simply doable! The goal cannot be who is best in learning
> it by heart!

If the pool of questions is large enough, learning the questions and
answers is about the same as learning the intended scope of the
information ;-)

You can allow people to have certain documentation with them on the
exam, but some degree of readily available knowledge is desirable.

> The goal must be to get ALL to be good Developers, ALL to be good
> Hosters, ... and therefore you need good information and trainings,
> tutorials ...

Even with enough and good information available not every developer or
hoster will use this information. You need something to verify their
knowledge somehow.

Regards,
--
Jigal van Hemert.