[TYPO3-english] Setting up TYPO3 with Maven2

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Sat Jul 4 00:05:18 CEST 2009

Yomo Guiamo skrev:
> Guys,

> create separate, useful, maven2 modules. Normally - with the old PHP3/PHP4
> TYPO3 versions, it took me about the same time to set it up. Since TYPO3 is
> moving towards PHP5, buildtools like maven come into the picture which
> clears the way for an enterprise, professional setup. Are you currently
> working with maven2 and TYPO3 or are just setting up TYPO3 the standard
> out-of-the-box way without build and integration tools?
>
> Regards,
> Yomo

Moving toward PHP5. As far as I know you need PHP 5.2 to use all of the
functionality in TYPO3 > 4.2. Personally I haven't used PHP 4 for the
last 4 years. And I'm not using Maven2. What I have read about it, I
don't find it a tool that helps me in any way.

And the timeconsuming part of getting a TYPO3 installation up and
running are not installing the core, dummy and most used extensions. For
me thats takes about 15 minutes, of course depending on how fast the
connection to the server is. 95 % of my installations (about 20) are on
a servers where I have all control. Core is only installed one place.

The rest is a simple script (like Xavier) which ask for folder name,
website name, database table name, database user name/password, fetch a
predefined dummy with extension etc with wget from my development
server, same with a predefined database with templates, and so on. The
script untar the dummy, change the folder name, make an new database,
import the database dump, and change the database name and password in
localconf.php. Ready to log in. If the site is using one of the
predefined templates I have its more and less ready.

When I log in as administrator I only have to map the HTML templates,
and then make some correction in the root template. which type of menu
etc and make some users.

If the site isn't complicated (using more and less standard templates),
it's running in 2 - 3 hours.

Time consuming are sites with more complicated HTML-templates, and with
a lot of functionality which has to be configured. All of this are
backend "dirty work", and I can't see how Maven2 solves this part.

And I don't mean that TYPO3 installation and setup tools are perfect,
but for me a better internal Install tool and more easy work with TS are
more important.

Bests

Erik