[TYPO3-english] Very slow performance when clearing cache & viewing template / huge db size increase

Bas v.d. Wiel j.a.m.v.d.wiel at tue.nl
Thu Jan 8 10:15:49 CET 2009

Hi javier,
Both slowdowns are related: updating a template record clears the cache,
giving you the same delay you experience when manually clearing the cache.

Apparently your cache tables have suddenly started growing much more
than usual. I'm experiencing similar symptoms on www.tue.nl where we
have around 20k published pages. The part of the DB containing the
actual content is little over 600MB at most, but the cache quickly makes
that grow to well over 4GB within a day.

Personally I still think caching full HTML pages into a DB table is
sub-optimal and a design flaw. Development is ongoing to use the file
system for such caching, which is a lot faster and should (in theory)
keep the DB small. Last I tested such mechanisms though, TYPO3 would
however still fill the cache tables even though they weren't actually
being used for lookups.

At this point I've simply learned to live with the slow
cache-flush/template update and have a cronjob in place to flush the
caches every night just prior to DB backup.

Bas