[TYPO3-english] RealURL and domain "container"

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Feb 24 18:02:29 CET 2009

Hi!

La Farge Douglas wrote:
> Thanks for the tips.  Though I must say I've never played an expert.
> Typically with Typo3 I just find a workaround if I run into an issue.
>
> I'm not sure what we could have done to "kill" our RealURL
> configuration.  Possibly had something to do with fiddling around with
> it simply trying to make it work.

Autoconfiguration file is always named realurl_autoconf.php. So if you deleted some other file with similar name,  it means you deleted the configuration file that someone wrote manually. It could have settings for various extensions, for example.

> And I do recognize the fiddling around with Typo3 that I don't
> understand can be dangerous. However, this site is currently under
> development. Over the past year and a half of working with Typo3 I've
> helped deploy 6-8 commercial websites using Typo3 and I've yet to screw
> anything up so bad that it blew up the site.  I should send out a list
> of our sites.

I did not mean to question your skills or anything. I only wanted to point out that asking here is easier than removing the config and trying to recreate it :) Preventive measures are always better than corrective :)

> So here's the set up. I assumed realurl_conf.php was the auto generated
> file simply because in "Enable Features" for the extension (Ext Manager
> -> realurl) the path to the config file and the enable auto config is
> grouped.  Enable automitic configuration is checked - why is it not
> generating that file?

That options clearly says: "If you placed RealURL configuration in a separate file, RealURL can include it for you. Specify a file name related to web site root directory.". Please, read it once more. It clearly says: "If you placed RealURL configuration in a separate file.....".

> In viewing realurl_conf.php it doesn't appear there is much if any
> customization in that file. There's an example of that file on the wiki
> and it's the same.

Ok, than there is no problem, which is good :)

> So I guess the question is how do I get my system to generate the auto
> config file and how do I get the domain configs to generated into the
> file.  It's not obvious to me reading the docs on how that is set up.

Check the box names "Enable automatic configuration". You should get realurl_autoconf.php in the typo3conf/.

> I should say that over the last year and a half I have been met with
> more frustration trying to get RealURL working on my sites than any
> other extension. Eventually I hack at it hard enough that it finally
> works.  And once it works I simply leave it alone and move on to
> production.  Therefore at the moment I'm inclined to run my three
> domains w/o the domain container and simply us conditionals to pull in
> different content, templates or CSS.

Well, may be RealURL is not for you :) It happens. I also tried some extensions more than once and never could configure them properly or understand them. Others use them all the time. It happens...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team