[TYPO3-english] mail not accepted

Luc de Louw luc at typo3.org
Fri Oct 10 21:25:06 CEST 2008

Folks,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> ries van Twisk wrote:
>> in all the mails we had in the past we never knew why... However I
>> 'think' Luc made some changes,
>> is that correct Luc??
>>
>> Piet, what is the exact message you see?
>
> Yes, Luc did some changes but the reason for the problem is unclear.

The change I made was a simple nobrainer which (as expected) did not
solved the problem.

> What is interesting, I think it can be related to server overload. People usually start complaining about mail bouncing when newsreader says that server load is >17. Probably related.

Lucky me, I installed sar some time ago. At the time when Ries' mail was
bounced, the systems load was quite low. BUT: at that time when the
error occured, there was a peek in mail delivery.

Maybe the English list reached a number of members or posts that is
critical for one of the components of the mailing system.

I'm going to throttle the number of mails sent per second and see what
happens. (Since the engineering approach of solving the problem does not
work, it is time to try-and-error).

> Don't blame Luc, he tries to help :)

I actually invested quite some time to hunt this error which appears to
be a phantom which only shows if some unknown parameters are met.

I'm sorry that it takes such a long time.

Please: I need your help to track it down. If a bounce occurs please
forward me the bounce message plus the original post from your "sent"
folder. I also need to know if you posted it to the mailing list or
delivered the post by nntp (news). Additional informations such as smtp
gateway used etc. is also welcome.

Thanks for your patience,

Luc