[TYPO3] The Install Tool is Locked

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:31:40 CET 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM, isaach <comms_skills at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I had the following message: "The Install Tool is Locked"
>
>  Done the following:
>
>  (1) Create a text file ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL in typoconf3 - did not work
>      Check that there is no txt extension - did not work
>
>  (2)  Comment out the line die() in typo3/install/index.php - did not work
>

>  Can someone please advise? Thank you.

First, if it's a version of TYPO3 since 4.0, you do NOT need step 2.

Secondly, I don't know if it's a typo or not, but there is no
directory "typoconf3/" in any normal installation--it's typo3conf/

Finally, given that you say (in a later message) that it took three
hours to get the source into your webspace, it's obvious you're
working from a fairly slow connection. Perhaps some of the source
files have been corrupted etc. If you can, I'd recommend using ssh to
do the install--it shouldn't take more than about five minutes
(obviously you'll have to change the paths, urls and username to suit
your circumstances):

ssh -l username example.com
[your password]
cd ~/
curl -O http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/typo3/typo3_src-4.1.6.tar.gz
tar -xzpvf typo3_src-4.1.6.tar.gz
cd public_html
ln -s ../typo3_src-4.1.6 typo3_src
ln -s typo3_src/typo3
ln -s typo3_src/t3lib
ln -s typo3_src/index.php
mkdir fileadmin typo3conf typo3temp uploads uploads/tf uploads/pics
uploads/media
touch typo3conf/localconf.php
touch typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL

You'll also have to be sure that the directories created in the
'mkdir' statement are writeable by the webserver. Aside from some kind
of file corruption though, I'm with Virgil: I've never seen or heard
of the ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file failing to work, so I think it must be
something unique to your installation.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/