[TYPO3] database charset problems

Sander van Gelderen mail at sandervangelderen.nl
Sat Mar 15 22:25:55 CET 2008

Hello Panagiotis,

It is best to have utf8 in your database and in the TYPO3 installation

For the DB:

- You can find out what character set the db currently uses with
phpMyAdmin module; when you enter the module from TYPO3 menu, it will
first show you  the list of tables. Notice the 5th column 'collation'.
Now click the little house icon top left, it will show you the 'welcome'
page for the db. Here you can see what character set the db uses by default.

For TYPO3, I use 4 settings:

- in your root typoscript template:
page.config.renderCharset = utf-8

- in the install tool:

- enter the following three lines in [SYS][setDBinit]:
SET CHARACTER SET utf8;
SET NAMES utf8;
SET SESSION character_set_server=utf8;

- [BE][forceCharset] = utf-8

- [SYS][UTF8filesystem] = 1
is usefull as well

This setup works for me and I have never had a 'gremlin' since I use it.

HTH,

Sander