[TYPO3] Documentation nightmare

Vincent typo3 at crel.us
Tue Mar 11 08:05:12 CET 2008

Typo3 is cool so far but the documentation drives me crazy!

In the TypoScript by example tutorial, there is an example that has

    page.5 = HMENU
    page.5.1 = TMENU
    page.5.1.wrap = | <BR><BR>
    page.5.1.NO {
      linkWrap = &nbsp;<font color=yellow> | </font>&nbsp;
      ATagBeforeWrap = 1
    }

So I see if I can look up the "NO" attribute in the TSref documentation
for practice becoming familiar with TSref.

Naturally, since this attribute is being added to a TMENU object,
I lookup TMENU.

No mention of "NO" or "ACT" properties it under TMENU at all.

Finally, I find it under a separate section,
    "Common item states for TMENU, GMENU and IMGMENU series:"
Hmm.  There should have at least been a comment under TMENU
pointing me there.  Preferably a link I could click on.

So I go to that section in the TSref.

There, for the "NO" property, it says it is a Boolean value and has an
example.

    page.20 = HMENU
    page.20.1 = TMENU
    page.20.1.NO = 1

No resemblance to it's usage in the tutorial.  No mention of
a "ATagBeforeWrap" setting or any other usage other than assigning
a Boolean value.  Arrgh!

Is the TSref wrong, incomplete, or out of date, or is the tutorial out
of date, etc?

Even if other documentation is incomplete or out of date, the reference
is the one thing I would hope to be complete and accurate.

The only negative things I have heard about typo3 is the steep learning
curve to get started.  I believe that to be an inaccurate assessment.
I think the problem is the documentation, not so much the complexity.
So far, for me, it has caused the learning curve and time spent to be at
least 10 times what I think it otherwise would have been.  Everything
I have learned has turned out to be fairly simple once I finally figured
it out.

The problem is, nearly everything I have tried to look up or learn about
sends me on a goose chase of conflicting, incomplete, cryptic, and/or
ancient documentation that does not apply to the modern version I am
running.

The videos have helped but, of course most of them are obsolete also.

I appreciate all the wonderful work that has gone into typo3 but I just
do not understand the primary tutorials and documentation being 4 to
5 years old with all the substantial changes that have been made.

Modern Template Building, Part 1 - last update: 29.12.2003 13:11
Futuristic Template Building - last update: 02.02.2004 15:54
TypoScript by example - last update: 14.12.2002 02:42
doc_tut_quickstart - last update: 22.07.2004 17:55
Modern Template Building, Part 23 - last update: 21.12.2003 09:43
    I believe this is parts 2 and 3

Every document I find is ancient, yet there are all these cool new
features mention in the modern releases.  How is a newbe to learn them?