[TYPO3] getting my head around login process

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sat Feb 16 11:33:09 CET 2008

Cate & Peter wrote:
> I am trying to make a few decisions about how to implement a user login, but
> I just need to make sure I have my head totally around the whole process - I
> wonder if someone would either confirm or deny my logic :-)
>
> 1.	User enters username and password into (any) login form (from any
> extension)
> 2.	data is passed to something within typo3, but independent from which
> login extension one uses
> 3.	data is verified and results in login (or failure)
>
> Am I right? It really doesn't matter what login extension you use? Can you
> use more than one extension (ie newloginbox AND macmade), or do you just
> alter the layout of the one extension if you want it in two places?

Almost right :)

Firsts, newloginbox, tcloginbox or whatever other loginbox extensions are just show the box! They do not authenticate user. As soon as certain GET or POST fields are passed to TYPO3, TYPO3 will attempt to login user. You can even try it manually from a browser:

http://whatever/?logintype=login&user=john&pass=mypass&pid=12345

pid is where FE user records are stored.

Another case is service extensions: they can provide alternative authentication methods for FE users. But this is rare.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team