[TYPO3] vge_tagcloud and relational database

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Thu Aug 28 17:21:27 CEST 2008

Hi Cyrill,

> I'm planning an extension that will make use of vge_tagcloud. As far as I
> understood the documentation I would just use a specific field from my "items"
> table to be valued by the tagcloud extension. Now if users are able to create
> own categories, its better to have another table listing the available
> categories and linking to this with uid's.
>
> My question, is it possible to use vge_tagcloud in such a situtation? So it
> first reads just id's and then assigns those with a text from another table?

After reading my own documentation ;-) my answer is yes. You can let the
tagcloud read the id's and then use the "postProcessRawKeywords" hook.
In this hook you receive a list of all keywords found, i.e. in your case
all id's. You can then query your categories table inside the hook and
replace id's with the corresponding category name.

I remember someone doing something similar, but the other way round:
matching keywords to id's of glossary entries. So you should be able to
achieve what you want.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter