[TYPO3] moving to a web hoster

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Aug 21 08:57:39 CEST 2008

on Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:34:33 +0800, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

> I am going to move to a webhoster and need some advices.
>
> The typo3 site bernadette.wiplinger.net should be transfered to another
> place.
> The current typo3 is version 4.2.1, while the web hoster uses 4.1.5.
> Would that give me troubles?

probably. you should not downgrade.
are you sure about this hoster?
any hoster who doesn't use the newest version seems to lack interest in
security.
as there is at least 4.1.7 for the 4.1.x-branch

for 4.2.x the hoster must provide php5. not every hoster is ready for
php5. again: a hoster who does not care?

probably you won't get much memory for php and TYPO3 needs a lot!
whith PHP-default-settings you can't run TYPO3.

> How is the procedure to move it over?

you could export a tree from old to new.
keep watch to install all needed extension before importing the data.
maybe you need to transfer some extra files via ftp from /fileadmin/...

other way:
clear all caches (and maybe indices) (this will reduce the amount of data)
make a copy from fileadmin/*, uploads/* typo3conf/*
make a full backup of database

insert in new server and configure to new server (installtool: typo3conf/
localconf.php e.g.Database-name/-access)
again: clear all caches!

bernd