[TYPO3] Social Portal Project planning: TYPO3 vs Drupal

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Aug 19 13:59:17 CEST 2008

on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:22:11 +0200, Thomas Meixner wrote:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> Thanks for pointing out the community extensions. That seems like a real
> useful extension. Seminars I'm not too sure yet since no calendar is
> build in. But it does 90% and extras from what I imagined.

there is a gateway from seminars to cal:
see manual of extension 'cal_ts_service'

>  From reading the manuals I don't see a way to have public and private
> profiles for users yet.
>
> I'm still 50/50 divided which route to take...

nobody can decide for you.

I would suggest: give TYPO3 a try and invest in it making TYPO3 a little
bit more able to handle communities. e.g. enhance cwt-community for
privat/public profiles (or sponser the author for it)

> I found another page which implements a private profile in drupal:
>
> http://www.iwanttospeak.net
>
> Anyone some reference pages in TYPO3?

no, but a can imagine a possible solution:
enhance the fe_user-record by a field the user can change:
visibility: none, buddies, community, public

then enhance the query for the userlist like:
$query='select * from fe_users where visibilty = public';
if (fe_user is logged in) {
	$query.=' or visibilty = community';
	$query.=' or (visibilty = buddies and '.fe_user[uid].' in
(buddylist))';
}
or make it more complicated: give a full list of names and decide on
every profile wether the link to the profile is activ (don't forget to
ask the same on showing the profile itself otherwise you have a security-
hole by 'guessing' the link)

bernd