[TYPO3] Social Portal Project planning: TYPO3 vs Drupal

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 18 15:03:31 CEST 2008

on Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:51:28 +0200, Thomas Meixner wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I hope you had a good weekend.
>
> I will have to decide for a project which can be described as a "social
> portal" and offers certain Facebook functionality whether TYPO3 or
> Drupal is the right tool for the job. I have experience with TYPO3 (>10
> sites) but none with Drupal.
>
> If anyone with experience in both or for a similar project could post
> their opinion/advice I would be grateful. Also if anyone knows a similar
> project in TYPO3 for my research I would be thankful.
>
> The key requirements are:
> * Events can be created by FE users and other FE users can subscribe to
> and receive notification for Events.
> * Events can be searched and listed by category or date
>
> * User profiles: visibility private and public, relations to other users
> (block profile, buddy)
> * Integrated forum
> * Blog linked to the Events as review
>

> In TYPO3 my take would be tt_news, the cal extension for events and the
> mm_forum which I haven't tried yet but which seems to be very powerful.
>
> I see problems arising with the relationship between user profiles which
> I haven't seen on a TYPO3 site yet
> Also I have never seen an implementation of the subscription feature of
> the cal apart from a description in the manual.
>
> Personally I feel like having to make a decision whether I prefer
> banging my head against some of the biggest TYPO3 extensions or learn a
> new CMS from scratch ...

I'm in a similar position.
As the descision for my project already is TYPO3 I searched for
extensions and found these:
	seminars (instead of cal)
	maybe in connection with a FE-Edit-extension
	cwt_community (only community-extension until now)
	mm_forum

	commenting on the seminars possibly could be done with 'comments'

I haven't implemented it yet. 'til now it is a plan. I don't know wether
these extension will fullfill the requirements as I don't know them yet.

bernd