[TYPO3] Problem with upgrading from php4 to php5

Ben Wardle info-nospam at netefficiency.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 14:06:20 CEST 2008

Hi Gunnar,

>> Gunnar Jonsson wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a tip how to debug such a http 500 error, when running
>>> php5 in CGI modus?
>>
>> Web server error_log might tell you more.

> My webhost says that there are no such error log, because php5 is run as
> CGI binary.

I'm sure they must have some error logs. However, I'd almost bet they are
using mod-fastcgi within Apache, and this sometimes throws a 500 error
because it doesn't always like the response headers that PHP sends it.

Unfortunately, the best way to deal with this is to make a change in the
source code of mod-fastcgi and recompile the library. If your host denies
the existence of error logs, it's likely they won't want to go the extra
mile to recompile their Apache modules!

If they are happy to do that let me know, and I'll see if I can dig out
exactly what they would need to do, though my suggestion would be to get a
better host.

All the best,

Ben.

Ben Wardle, Managing Director
Net Efficiency Ltd
London based web development, design and consultancy for non-profits and
business.
www.netefficiency.co.uk