[TYPO3] Fee for GPL and

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon Aug 11 13:02:02 CEST 2008

hmm

Hi Xavier

what about those extension which are already using i.e. CC Licenses i.e.
like YAML-TV and also they got distributed as Extension and you need to pay
for a license fee. If it would be like yu said than those extensions also
would need to be GNU or?

How do you define bypassing GPL - How can you include and execute non gpl
code from with TYPO3 without using its functionality?
Let's take the example YAML for TemplaVoila what is very well known. It is
using TYPO3 functionality AFAIK and is released under CC

Andi

2008/8/11 Sancar Saran <sancar.saran at evodot.com>

> Hello Xavier,
>
> We had same stiuation before...
>
> If you use GPL licence or used GPL licenced Library (for example any TYPO3
> extension). Your source code must acessible over internet.
>
> Using zend encoder or similar stuff direct violation of GPL Licence.
>
> So If you bypass GPL under TYPO3
>
> you have to develop an extension to include and execute your non gpl code.
>
> You non gpl code, does not contain any TYPO3 function, methot, etc.
>
> Regards
>
> Sancar
>
> On Monday 11 August 2008 10:46:23 Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > AFAIU, extensions that use TYPO3 framework have to use the GNU GPL too.
> > Is that true? That means that they are automatically open source. I know
> > there will be changes for TYPO3 5.0 but for now I speak of the 4.x
> > branch ;-)
> >
> > According to the FSF (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html), it is
> > allowed and encouraged to distribute free software for a fee. OK! But
> > then the person who paid the fee is allowed to modify (or not) and
> > redistribute it freely:
> >
> > "Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, change
> > the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes."
> >
> > Does it mean that I may ask for a fee, and I am encouraged to but once I
> > "sold" it, my customer is authorized to give it away? I could imagine a
> > few people are interested in the code, they buy it together and in the
> > end, I only have 1 fee instead of many. Did I missed something or is it
> > so? Just to know :-)
> >
> > Now, last point. What about a product such as Zend Guard
> > (http://www.zend.com/en/products/guard/) that may encrypt the code or
> > require a license to be renewed each year or that limit the ability to
> > run the software on a single server, ... and the use of the GNU GPL. Is
> > it compatible in some way? Which one?
> >
> > Thanks

Thanks a lot!
Greetings from ICT Innovation Paradise
Andi

Blog: http://andibecker.blogspot.com
Map: http://tinyurl.com/6a4bg5
Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/cocopapa
Videos: http://tinyurl.com/5vs389
Projects: http://www/t3log.info
T3Pack - TYPO3 Development, TEAM 3 - Eternal Project Management
LisAndi Co. Ltd. - The future is within us! POWER4 - The empowering people!