[TYPO3] Fee for GPL and

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon Aug 11 12:40:21 CEST 2008

Hi Xavier

The Source Code must be accessible! and it isn't if you encrypt it like in
proprietary software

Simply create all your stuff put it on TER and enjoy how many people are
using it and create also big revenue out of it. This is GNU!
And this is good so! Therefore actually also TYPO3 5.0 needs to be still GNU
as otherwise it would be incompatible with all former TYPO3 stuff -
especially incompatible in licence.

If customers ask you for the code you have to give it to them, so you still
can encrypt your files. The question is how much sense it makes to pay 700
euro to encrypt files when one day later the open source will be distributed
by one of your customers???

Better enjoy the freedom and use your code to advertise yourself! This
brings in customers and customers will binrg in money and money will make it
possible to develop more code .....

GNU is no licence for people who are sitting on treasure boxes like the
small roman in asterix.

Andi

2008/8/11 Xavier Perseguers <typo3 at perseguers.ch>

> Hi Ingo,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> >> Does it mean that I may ask for a fee, and I am encouraged to but once
> >> I "sold" it, my customer is authorized to give it away?
> >
> > You can not "sell" it - in terms of licensing, but you can charge for
> > your development work or for documentation material, the CD you may
> > deliver your extension on, the traffic cost it takes to download the
> > extension and so on...
>
> OK.
>
> > Second: yes, your customer is free to do with it whatever he wants,
> > print it and hang it on a wall, redistribute it, delete it, what ever...
>
> And what is your point of view about Zend Guard and GPL? It is
> definitively incompatible if I understand it well. Isn't it?
>
> --
> Xavier Perseguers
> http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html

Thanks a lot!
Greetings from ICT Innovation Paradise
Andi

Blog: http://andibecker.blogspot.com
Map: http://tinyurl.com/6a4bg5
Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/cocopapa
Videos: http://tinyurl.com/5vs389
Projects: http://www/t3log.info
T3Pack - TYPO3 Development, TEAM 3 - Eternal Project Management
LisAndi Co. Ltd. - The future is within us! POWER4 - The empowering people!