[TYPO3] system update - what would you recommend

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Aug 11 09:50:20 CEST 2008

Hi Katja,

> My virtual server system is now
> - php 5.1.6
> - mysql 5.0.27
>
> And as you know one must update to php 5.2 in order to update from 4.1.x
> to TYPO3 4.2.
>
> I have many production sites in the server and now my big wonder (and
> scare) is, if I order from my provider the php update 5.1.6 -> 5.2 and
> mysql 5.0.27 -> 5.0.54, what happens (if anything).
>
> I guess the worst that could happen is that some extensions wouldn't
> work...?

Upgrading MySQL won't lead you into trouble, for sure! Now for PHP 5.1
to 5.2 I'm pretty sure it is the same as the big jump was PHP4 to PHP5
and will be PHP5 to PHP6 but otherwise, no problem I'm aware of.

Upgrading 4.1.x to 4.2 may lead to problems but I personnaly upgraded a
few websites without problems as all used extensions had been made
compatible to the new version of TYPO3.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html