[TYPO3] Exclude page not working in vge_tagcloud

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Wed Aug 6 17:58:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I see. pids related can be filtered by exclude.pages.doktype _before_
> being processed, not afterwards. So my interpretation of this option was
> wrong.

Well, exclude properties get added to the SQL queries whenever relevant,
e.g. exclude.pages.doktype means a filter on doktypes will be added only
  to a query on the pages table (obviously...). It is not a filter on
fetched data.

> However, a TS filter afterwards could be very handy for using the data
> with pi2. Of course this is only MHO. The question for me now is: Should
> I write a more or less public usable extension which uses the hook - or
> write a patch, which has chances to get integrated in vge_tagcloud ;-)

I don't know if I would integrate such a patch, because I think your use
case is not meant for the pi2 plugin. You can't display a tag cloud
built on pages *and* news and display the resulting list of pages with
the pi2, because the pid for news doesn't make sense (the pi2 is a very
simple tool and didn't even exist in the first versions of the tag
cloud). If you have keywords coming both from pages and news what kind
of link do you build on them? Every word is displayed only once, that
means it can have only a single link. So you would need to point to a
page with some plugin that is capable of linking both to a list of pages
and a list of news.

The way I see it you should use some other plugin than pi2, maybe
develop one suited to your use case, but not patch the tag cloud extension.

Otherwise I would go the way of releasing an extension containing a hook
that uses the exclude property to filter data *after* it has been
fetched from the database.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter