[TYPO3] how to link subdomains that path to destination is not shown?

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Aug 4 08:53:08 CEST 2008

Hi Andreas,

> is there a way to create a subdomain in TYPO3 and redirect it to another
> directory/file on the server without showing the path on the server in
> the url? I'd like to stick to the subdomain instead of the destinations
> path.

You should have explained a bit more what you try to achieve but I'll
try to explain to different options:

Let's say you have your TYPO3 website on http://www.domain.tld and
physically on your server on /var/htdocs/domain.tld/www/.

1) Let's say you wish to access /another/directory/ content from
http://www.domain.tld/somewhere/. This has nothing to do with TYPO3 but
you may easily create a symbolic link in your TYPO3 home directory this way:

# cd /var/htdocs/domain.tld/www
# ln -s /another/directory somewhere

2) Let's say you wish to access only a single file /some/file.txt from
http://www.domain.tld/fileadmin/mydirectory/file.txt (that is as if it
were a file uploaded into TYPO3's fileadmin:

# cd /var/htdocs/domain.tld/www/fileadmin/mydirectory
# ln -s /some/file.txt

3a) You have another wish. There is an option in localconf.php (see the
doc) to mount external directories but I never used it (folder are then
shown with a blue icon in backend)

3b) You may use one of the multiple "file download" extensions to see
whether it fulfills your needs

3c) Write your own frontend extension to do what you want

HTH

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html