[TYPO3] automatic display of first menu item

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun Apr 20 16:00:23 CEST 2008

Michael Christensen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I probably didn't make myself quite clear on this, but what I want is not to
> change the layout of the menu-item. What I want is to make the system
> display the content of the first menu-item in the Main Content field of the
> page, as soon as you get into the page where the menu is located. Does that
> make sense?

It makes sense but has nothing to do with menu :) You can't get first menu item and display content for it. Menu in TYPO3 show page structure. In many systems it is otherwise: menu defines page order and structure. In TYPO3 menu only displays that order/strcture.

If that page is parent page, you can make it a shrtcut to the first subpage. This way it will always show content of the first subpage.

If it is not a parent page, you have to use TS to select content elements manually for the first page according to "sorting" field. This is not trivial.

> The case is as follows: I'm making a page for a designer. When you go to the
> page named portfolio, there is a menu-structure at the right which refers to
> the subpages of the page "Portfolio" in the page-tree. What I want is to
> display the content of the first/newest subpage as soon as you come into the
> "Portfolio"-page.

So use the shortcut with "first subpage" mode.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team