[TYPO3] Preventing SPAM without using a CAPTCHA

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Oct 19 11:34:14 CEST 2007

Marlies C schrieb:
> I just came across this article:
> http://duggmirror.com/programming/Preventing_SPAM_without_using_a_CAPTCHA/
> and was wondering how this could be implemented into the TYPO3 mailform?

first: what will impaired people see of your form?
will a screenreader 'display' these fields? and when the user then fill it?

I think this is one nice idea to trap spammers, there are others (check
some data of form-request and compare them to data of form-submit: time,
refferer, host). But all these ideas are good as long as they are non
standard (compare the email coding @ as <at>).
In the moment a spammer detects the general possibility to fool the
trap, the spam will increase again.

I have heard about mail-spam-blocking:
there is the idea of delaying acceptance of mail by blockung the first
try to deliver from a new host. at first spammers were blocked because
they don't tried again. but meanwhile they know this trick and resend
the spammail after 20 minutes, which means a double in (spam)mailtraffic
because there are blockings on other causes.

At the moment I use the extension timtab_badbehaviour (see the podcast!)
and I enjoy every now and then the list of blocked entries :-)

Bernd