[TYPO3] GPL Liscense and login / BE

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:13:04 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 10/17/07, Andrew Davis <junk at avagraphique.com> wrote:
> Yes, everyones points are very well taken. And my boss, being my boss,
> has the last say of course.
>
> Our largest problem, is that the be interface is a bit difficult to
> use. I dont think this, but when clients call us several times about
> the same problems, it seems clear to us that typo3 be needs serious
> simplification. This is not a knock against Typo3. it is
> straightforward enough and very powerful, but for joe-average, still
> over their head.
>
> Now what would be better? I dont know. At some point joe-avaerage
> needs to be trained on some things...

On this subject only:

a) do you know about using TSconfig for this purpose? The BEs of sites
I deliver for most clients are RADICALLY simpler than what admin users
see.

Setting up permissions entirely from scratch takes two to three hours
or less on most new sites--a small amount compared to the whole
process of building a site, and *well* worth it in terms of the
end-user experience.

b) I have found that for most clients with internet and
word-processing experience, training takes approximately three hours.
Occasionally, a follow-up lesson of ~1 hour is required. Very complex
sites (complex in terms of having very complex organization or in
using many different TYPO3 functions) require more training, of
course, but this is and amount that's yielded good results over many
training sessions with different clients.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/