[TYPO3] GPL Liscense and login / BE

Andrew Davis junk at avagraphique.com
Wed Oct 17 17:54:05 CEST 2007

Yes, everyones points are very well taken. And my boss, being my boss,
has the last say of course.

Our largest problem, is that the be interface is a bit difficult to
use. I dont think this, but when clients call us several times about
the same problems, it seems clear to us that typo3 be needs serious
simplification. This is not a knock against Typo3. it is
straightforward enough and very powerful, but for joe-average, still
over their head.

Now what would be better? I dont know. At some point joe-avaerage
needs to be trained on some things...

We have tried different skins and the tm_content (i think) extension,
which have helped, but doesnt solve some underlying issues.

It is very difficult to convince the management to allocate hours to
reskin and rework the backend.

Then they go online and find "website in a box" type solutions, and
want to go with them. We know that those sorts of things aren't
extensible and not long term good choices. But they want it "now".
Speaking of that, perhaps hiring a consultancy to redo the back-end
would be a good option for us (thinking out loud).

Not sure if the bossman will ever accept a gpl notice on the backend,
which means our choices are branded boxed solution or roll our own.

In article
<mailman.1.1192625888.14482.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de>"Mathias
 Schreiber [TYPO3]" <mathias at typo3.org> wrote:

| T.M.Snyder schrieb:
|||  [...]
|||  product or build our own (my preference).
||  Which in my opinion is absolutely nonsense.
||  Ask yourself just a few questions - and also your boss:
||   - what is the benefit to have a own branded software instead of a
|| software  supported by a worldwide community, extremly flexible
and|| customizable?

| The benefit is that you create your own market (which mighty be
| pretty dificult in the CMS market, since products like TYPO3 are
| rolling up almost everything that's in their way.

| Plus that as soon, as their clients see "TYPO3" they might look for
| other agencies that can do TYPO3.

| So I get Andrews point here.
| I think TYPO3 might be an option though - because TYPO3 gets you
LOTS| of clients.
||   - why reeventing the wheel, if there are already wheels, and
real|| good  wheels btw... ?

| see above.
||   - why to reach the goal by going such a long way round, instead
|| going  straight to the goal?

| see above.
||  You would need extremely much manpower and money to build
something|| that  good as TYPO3,

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo