[TYPO3] General problems with plugin usage in a draft workspace

Marius Shekow info at planetnexuiz.de
Sat Oct 6 16:35:32 CEST 2007

Hi there,

when I started to use TYPO3 I was very keen on using other workspaces to
prepare a whole structure of a page (several pages at once) and to
publish them at once (once they are all done). However, since I've spend
a lot of time of working with the system, I discovered that this is in
fact just a illusion. I will explain, why:

I've found out that I usually have problems setting up pages that
contain plugins in a draft workspace I created, as well as using the
plugins later (creating new content which is parsed/rendered by the
plugins).

When I try to create pages that contain new plugins I often run into
problems. I can name a few examples here:
- ce_gallery: I get massive PHP errors, the gallery won't show anything
- tt_news: requires to setup all the references to other pages (such as
the "news detail page"). Even when the steps are done absolutely
correctly, the backlink from detail view to the list view of the news
wouldn't work, regardless of what I try.

Once I do exactly the same steps (for ce_gallery or tt_news) but doing
so in the LIVE workspace, everything will be working fine. Fow now my
workaround is to create the new pages in the LIVE workspace, but to hide
them. The FE preview will them show to me anyway.

The other annoying thing is the fact that using the plugins, i.e.
creating content for/with them often doesn't work as expected when I do
so in a draft workspace. Here are examples:
- tt_news: assigned categories won't be shown in the FE, and once I
publish the news record to the LIVE workspace the category selection is
completely lost, and I have to set it again
- dam (to be more precise: dam_ttcontent): I was keen on using the
feature to only reference media files (thus using the new "image" field
of the form that will cause the images to be referenced instead of being
copied). Referenced images will not show when doing the preview in the
draft workspace.

So, what is my question? My question is NOT specific to plugin tt_news,
ce_gallery or dam. I am sure there are many more plugins where things
won't work correctly. What I am interested in: do you know what exactly
is going wrong in these scenarios? Is it the fault of the
workspace-plugin? Or do the developers of the used plugins such as
tt_news have to make them workspace-compliant, which they didn't do
properly and thus I get all these misbehaviours ?

Greetings,
Marius