[TYPO3] Altering content based on if user is logged in

Stephen Bungert s.bungert at metrinomics.de
Tue Nov 6 15:40:52 CET 2007

The site I'm working on should have a log-in system for members. When
logged in they see things that unlogged visitors don't see. If I was
doing this in a non typo3 site I could just use php to check the
username and password in a database and render the page based on if the
user is logged in. The first thing I would do would be to redirect the
user to the same page,

where the post variables would be checked, and if ok, a session started
and the user would be logged in.

How does one do this with a TYPO3 based website?