[TYPO3] TV concept: default templates (DS/TO)

Georg Rehfeld georg.rehfeld at gmx.de
Wed May 30 04:40:21 CEST 2007

Hi all,

actually I found out a little bit myself, see below.

> Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> Georg Rehfeld wrote:
>>> The TYPO3 backend then has a big usability problem:
>>>
>>> - authors have no feedback of what DS/TO is actually used.
>> And they should not. This is the concept. However you can change
>> appearance of page module to reflect your layout. Read manual.
>
> Now that sounds interesting: I _can_ configure TYPO3 to show the TV
> layout in effect when creating a new page?

According to the TV (TemplaVoila) documentation at

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/templavoila/1.3.1/view/1/5/

section "1.5. <T3DataStructure> extensions" near the end (just search
for "<titleBarColor>" in your browser)

it shall be possible to color encode some header depending on the DS in
use.

Though this is very far from what I would wanna have in the first place
I tried that, as it would have been be more than nothing.

It turned out, that just setting <titleBarColor>#123456</titleBarColor>
as documented on it's own did nothing at all.

But if you just scroll up a little bit in the mentioned doc/section and
read the <displayHeaderFields> entry and then follow that, as documented
AND additionally use the <titleBarColor> thingy, one could at least get
_some_ result in the backend ... though not the promised results, except
for a newly enabled TV tab (which wasn't even mentioned clearly in the
docs).

Here are screenshots of what I tried:

   http://georg-rehfeld.de/test/typo3/ds_to_probs_01.jpg

There I followed the TV docs as close as possible, didn't I?

   http://georg-rehfeld.de/test/typo3/ds_to_probs_02.jpg

That's the result of the modification: a new (useless) tab, no header
field contents, no color encoding.

Hey, am I stupid guys? I'm not, for sure! But, as usual: I'm looking for
errors on my side first, so please, point me to the place, where I did
something wrong, and I will apologize.

But I (still) believe: the TV docs are (at least) totally outdated,
to be polite.

TV is a good new concept (I use it for ALL of my TYPO3 sites), but it
MUST be documented _understandable_ and (mainly) with admins in mind.

The best software renders almost useless, if it is not well documented
(unless it is self explanatory by using it, which is partly true for the
mapping interface, but all the rest of it _has_ to be documented).

regards, Georg
--
   ___   ___
  | + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
  |_|_\ |___   georg.rehfeld.nospam at gmx.de    +49 (40) 23 53 27 10

               (Delete .nospam from mail address)