[TYPO3] TV concept: default templates (DS/TO)

Georg Rehfeld georg.rehfeld at gmx.de
Wed May 30 00:24:51 CEST 2007

Hi all,

thanks for your answers, at least I now know, that I didn't do something
wrong in my setup/configuration and other authors wer puzzled by my
observation too.

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Georg Rehfeld wrote:
>> The TYPO3 backend then has a big usability problem:
>>
>> - authors have no feedback of what DS/TO is actually used.
>
> And they should not. This is the concept. However you can change
> appearance of page module to reflect your layout. Read manual.

Now that sounds interesting: I _can_ configure TYPO3 to show the TV
layout in effect when creating a new page?

<off_topic>

I'll try to be polite but very clear here and don't want to offend
anybody. Nevertheless, this must be said, because I'm sick and tired of
plain RTFM's.

Generally, before I post a question in mailing lists I try hard to find
the answer myself. What do you think I have done the last 3 days? Just
that: having Read The Fucking Manuals!!! Plenty of them, 3 days long, 14
hours a day, only sleeping and eating a little bit inbetween. That must
have been more than 250 pages of TYPO3 related information, not glanced
over but read intensly, online documents, mailing list articles and
pages from my 2 TYPO3 books (the official one and the "TYPO3 Kochbuch").

And I _told_ you about the fact clearly (not as verbosely as here, but
my first sentence in my questions should have made clear enough, that I
tried hard to find the answer).

And in the last 3 weeks I have read even more manuals:
- almost the whole official TYPO3 book (~700 pages)
- started with the cookbook (~100 pages so far)
- much of the TSref/TSconfig online docs
- TYPO3 Core Api especially the $TCA section
- reread (for the 3rd or 4th time) "Futuristic Template Building"
   and "Modern Template Building"
- I have seen almost every Video Podcast from Kasper, especially the
   christmas/Bob series (twice), and didn't just sat there enjoying,
   but stopped the film and tried to figure, what Kasper was doing
   exactly on the screen, then looked it up in my TYPO3 backend
- several of the other online docs on TYPO3 and elsewhere
- the TYPO3 wiki
- mailing list archives

And now you tell me, as answer to a very specific question, and
obviously you _know_ a specific answer:

> Read manual.

This is bad nettiquette and bad attitude and doesn't help in any way.
On the other hand I find such an answer offending, because, between the
lines, you tell me something like: you stupid, lazy idiot ... RTFM.

Note, that I for sure am not the smartest man on earth, but I'm neither
lazy nor stupid nor an idiot and don't want to be treated as such, also
not between the lines.

If you had pointed me to a _specific_ document and, in case of a lengthy
document, to some specific section, then I just would have been happy
and maybe answered "ahh ... yes I overlooked that" or similar and would
have learned a little bit more. Also list archive readers in the future
would profit from a specific hint.

So you not only offend me, but also leave future archive readers alone,
which then causes the same question to be asked again ... again answered
with a plain RTFM ... ad infinitum.

I don't want to discuss this any further, just make my point clear. And
I ask anybody (at least in answers to my messages) planning to send a
plain unspecific RTFM: leave your fingers off the keyboard, don't waste
your/my/archive readers time, just ignore the message. Feel free to name
me/the author lazy, stupid, idiot just in your mind, at least I won't
care.

</off_topic>

>> - authors could change easily to a totally unrelated DS/TO, breaking
>>   the CI of a subtree, simply by not seeing, what the default is.
>
> Nope. You can forbid them to change these fields and you can limit them
> in types of available DS/TO.

So that sounds interesting too, obviously there is a way to restrict
users to specific DS/TO? Hmm, the word "type" seems to be a hint here.
I mean to remember having read about "type" in TV context somewhere,
can't actully remember where in the 1500 pages of material ... sigh.

Though it wouldn't really help in my case, the configured subpage DS/TO
is more a hint than a strict requirement, authors may decide
differently, when there is a reason to do so.

>> When a new page is added with "Page (inside)" there is no preselection
>> of "Page Template Structure:" (and my handcrafted nice icons ain't shown
>> in the first place :-) ). Also there is an error message under
>> "Content:"
>>   Data Structure ERROR: No source value in fieldname "tx_templavoila_ds"
>
> Ignore this, this is false error message.

So I'll teach my customers authors to ignore that.

> You should have asked in TemplaVoila mailing list, not here.

Sorry for that, I wasn't aware of that mailing list. I'll go and
subscribe to it.

regards, Georg
--
   ___   ___
  | + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
  |_|_\ |___   georg.rehfeld.nospam at gmx.de    +49 (40) 23 53 27 10

               (Delete .nospam from mail address)