[TYPO3] TypoScript Highlighting

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue May 15 22:23:47 CEST 2007

> Re structure and organisation, there is an argument to be for having
> everything in one place as I think that's far easier to find things
> then tons of extension templates around everywhere.

Extension templates should be avoided at all costs.
Usually they can be replaced by a simple pidInRootline condition.

> And I understand what Joey is saying about the include templates, but
> I always find that much more complex to be honest. Not only that but
> that only works if you have people that are willing to follow a set
> idea of how it should work (naming of templates even seems to get
> forgotten with some of the people I work with)

Then its time for some coaching to have them stick to the rules.

> My question was more so that are there very specific technical reasons
> for not having a long template?

The technical reason is: Last one who saves wins. Of course there's an undo
button and a history but it can be really annoying if you have to switch
between different versions of the same template just to get back what your
team did during the last working day. If you split it up into smaller chunks
you can assign each of them to a maintainer and you can edit the template(s)
of the same site at the same time without any problems.

Another reason is that you can easily move parts of your template to another
site since the structure is clear and each subtemplate is responsible for
one special part of the site.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC/Xing: http://www.cybercraft.de