[TYPO3] Re Storing language prefence in cookie

Dmitry Dulepov 9f4eetb02 at sneakemail.com
Tue May 8 14:18:58 CEST 2007

Hi!

Leo Barrientos C. wrote:
> Okey, but the cookie will work for a few time (if you set it).
>
> The thing is, ¿Do you want a "latest used languaje by an IP address" or
> by a registered user ?.
>
> You can add an extra field to fe_user with an extension in order to
> allow register user to change his default language.
>
> By the way, store IP default language is tooooooooooo much!, there is
> better ways also, like to recognice the IP zone.

About using IP address - this is a bad idea. For example, we have one
company with 30000 workers there, most using Internet. They all are seen
under the same IP because of the corporate proxy. This proxy does not
create HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, thus makes all 30000 look like one man.

FE user is good but only if visitors are really have to register and
they are remembered. There is no need to extend fe_users in this case,
all data can be saved in 'uc' array.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/