[TYPO3] TemplaVoila ARABIC/HEBREW and ENGLISH in a ONE Tree TYPO3

Oleg Sverdlov oleg at ols.co.il
Wed Jul 11 10:20:18 CEST 2007

Hi Andreas,

You are talking about 3 problems:

1) can't switch direction from CSS

2) can't use TV to create language-dependant content elements

3) can't change <body> tag.

I do not know about 2), may be Dmitry will be able to help you here. See
Christian's excellent answer for the solution of 3), he also listed all
necessary changes in HTML.

Andreas Becker wrote:

> The other Problem is that with CSS you could do all the switching, but
> unfortunately CSS1 won't allow to switch writing directions This you have to
> do with HTML.
>
> The CSS
> unicode-bidi
> direction
>
> isn't available in the browsers That's the main Problem

About 1) and CSS problem I wonder what browser you are talking about
that do not support direction:rtl attribute. Opera started to support
RTL from late version 7, IE - from version 5, mozilla, safari, konq
support it a few years already. Only some (not all) cellular phones are
giving errors in RTL screens, mostly because of invalid implementation
from the vendor, but I suppose you don;'t need TV to create a cellular
portal :)

In my practice (I'm building hebrew sites), giving * {direction:rtl; }
or html { direction:rtl; } is sufficient. You can add
'text-align:right', but this is rare needed. For input fields with
numbers and emails you have to set {direction:ltr; languge:en;
text-align:left} to make them behave correctly in

> Have you ever tried to get i.e. arabic and english working in a onetree
> setting? including a switching template? I am still searching for TYPO3
> People who build Pages in Arabic and Hebrew using TYPO 3 to learn from them.

Yes I did that with Template Selector extension.

> We only would need some kind of DIRECTION identifier for each language and
> then the right template for this direction could be chosen even in a one
> Tree Setting. Is this possible? Can this be added - if yes HOW?

Why not to use L variable as direction idenfier?

--
With best regards,
Oleg.