[TYPO3] TYPO3 viable as eCommerce system for Amazon-like webshop?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus daniel at polyteknisk.it
Tue Sep 12 17:07:15 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Dmitry! Thanks for your reply! :)

> Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:
>
>> Basically, we have these extra needs/wishes, that we're hoping we might
>> meet/fullfill if we use TYPO3:

> Do you want to make it yourself? Typo3 is capable of all it but learning
> curve is long. This project will not be for one day or week for
> experienced typo3 developer.

I hear the learning curve is quite steep with TYPO3, but my feeling is
that this is due to the power and customizability of TYPO3, and not
because it is needlessly complex by design or something like that?

I'm working full-time on the project, and the current release schedule
says a functionial test version should be running by March 1st 2007, and
hopefully a completed, well-functioning system by June 1st 2007. I am
the sole programmer on this project, backed by my boss, who is project
leader and responsible for database design (will optimize, create stored
procedures, make sure the XAL system is synchronized, etc.), and the
webmaster, who has tons and tons of ideas, and is able to help with
diagrams and such, but not with any programming.

I haven't used TYPO3 before. I've installed it earlier this year for a
different project, and fiddled with it a bit, but then summer and new
jobs came, so I shelved it. Now I'm considering it for this project. Of
course, I need to get up to grasps with all the concepts of CMSes in
general, and TYPO3 in particular. So, it's basically a clean sheet for
me when it comes to using a CMS/CMF for developing sites, although I've
been doing PHP and MySQL on and off for some years now.

> You need to understand that it will be a complex project. No idea about
> osCommerce (is it still alive?)
The 3.0 Alpha 3 (AFAIR) was just released, ending more than two and a
half years of close to no activity, it seems. Not sure about the future
prospects, though, and they do have a certain weight in the
decision-making when choosing a system.
>  but one can do it with typo3 if he has
> enough knowledge and time.

That's what I'm hoping to hear. Not being familiar with how
CMS/CMF/eCommerce systems are built, one concern is whether or not I'll
be able to use TYPO3 as a base system to build this new "Amazon" without
having to make changes to core code, that is, by "playing nice" and only
using the API/modules/etc.

One of the things that make me concerned about this is the need to track
every user's complete behavior. We want to record *everything* in the
database, so that when a new idea for semantic data analysis arises
(such as the ability to figure out what new books this user would like,
so that we can mail him and actually present him with something he wants
instead of just annoying him), we already have all the data about users'
behavior in the database. This may just be my lack of experience with
TYPO3 and the likes speaking, but I'm thinking that if this isn't
already a built-in feature of TYPO3, I'd have to mess around with the
core code to implement it?

> Looking at your list, it seems that guestbook fits better than forums if
> you want discussions for individual books (amazon style). And I really
> doubt you want any ajax functionality there.

That may very well be. Also, these things don't necessarily have to be
existing already, as they're fairly simple to implement. Only thing is
that if they already exist, there's more time for me to do other things
- and not worry about not meeting a deadline ;)

Ajax is not a priority as such, it's just one of the webmaster's many
ideas. If there's no apparent benifit, and it takes too long to
implement, it's thrown away immediately.

It'd be great to see if someone has made something like this using
TYPO3... I'm just not sure if customizing an eCommerce system like
osCommerce makes more sense than starting from scratch in something like
TYPO3. And finding out for myself would mean having to climb the
learning curve on the latter option, perhaps to find that the former
option is the way to go, and having wasted a month in the process... Not
a nice prospective! :)

Again, thanks for your input!

Daniel