[TYPO3] Options for hosting multiple sites - revisited ...

Nils Meyer meyer at hauptsache.net
Thu Sep 7 11:57:50 CEST 2006

Hi,

Kathy Wheeler wrote:
> I would appreciate advice on how others have handled disk space
> billing for multiple domains, and any other opinions on either
> multiple domain handling option.

Here, diskpace is mostly not an issue, as it is very cheap and not a
limited resource as CPU time or RAM is. If I would have to keep track of
the diskspace consumed by single typo3 sites, I'd use the symlink
approach where every typo3 instance has a database of it's own. This has
several advantages:

1. it's easier to account the diskspace used for files
2. when you use MySQL with the MyISAM Storage engine, you can also
easily keep track of the Database size as everything related to the
hosts database is under one directory
3. it's much easier to move a site to another host if you run low on
system resources
4. deleting a site is much easier
5. traffic accounting could be done on a per-vhost basis if you need it
6. security breaches on one site do often not affect others

All that is far harder to setup with multiple Sites in one typo3
instance and your admin would surely spend some time writing scripts for
counting database usage etc.

regards
Nils