[TYPO3] Options for hosting multiple sites - revisited ...

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Thu Sep 7 08:25:40 CEST 2006

Hi!

Kathy Wheeler wrote:
> We need to roll out a multiple domain Typo3 installation - mostly small
> client sites. My server admin has asked how we are going to keep track
> of individual site disk usage for billing purposes.

Easy... We do exactly this in our company.

You need to uncompress "source" package somewhere in file system. When
you setup web sites, you need to uncompress "dummy" package, make
symlink named typo3_src to that "source" directory, then make symlinks
to typo3_src/typo3, typo3_src/t3lib and couple of other files (see
installation docs).

Thus each site gets common typo3 directories and its own other
directories. Database must be one per site.

"Multidomain in one tree" does not suite you here at all due to a number
of reasons:
- people may not want to see their home page to have id=12345, they may
want to have id=1
- you cannot give admin rights to people (or they will see the whole
tree) but they will want it to install extensions, see logs, etc
- you'll get one huge database, which will be very slow. If one table
gets corrupted, all sites will die

--
Dmitry Dulepov
http://typo3bloke.net/