[TYPO3] Options for hosting multiple sites - revisited ...

Kathy Wheeler kathyw at home.albury.net.au
Thu Sep 7 02:23:46 CEST 2006

I've searched the archives and found a question almost identical to
mine, but no answers to it ... so I'll ask:

We need to roll out a multiple domain Typo3 installation - mostly
small client sites. My server admin has asked how we are going to
keep track of individual site disk usage for billing purposes.

 From what I've read the easiest way to handle multiple domains with
Typo3 (letting Typo3 do the domain handling with the separate sites
as different page trees on the one installation) will put everything
in the one database. Is there any way, preferably one that could be
automated, to
a) keep track of an individual domain/client's disk usage within the
one database and
b) remove a client site (if the client moves away or goes out of
business)?

I'm leaning towards the other alternative multiple domain option of
one Typo3 source with multiple installs with their own databases,
using the symlink to the source etc. A bit messier to set up, bigger
overhead for each client install, but I think easier to admin.

I would appreciate advice on how others have handled disk space
billing for multiple domains, and any other opinions on either
multiple domain handling option.

Cheers,
KathyW.