[TYPO3] No tutorials?

mario chiari.hm at flashnet.it
Sat Oct 7 16:34:00 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 09:50 +0100, Tyler Kraft wrote:
> Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with TSref as it is. (I mean its
> supposed to be a reference document, and not an instruction manual.)

Sorry for the late reply. More important, my apologies to whoever is
taking care of TSRef, I have just realized that I am looking to v3.5b3,
I see now that you have v3.4. There are a number of changes (e.g., I do
not see any more the Introduction to TypoScript section, has it been
moved somewhere else?).

The complain I expressed is about wording and style, as you find in the
following two examples:

i)
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/current/view/5/1/
Property: parseFunc
Data type: object path reference / ->parseFunc
Notice: If you enter a string as value this [refers to value? I am sure
98%, not 100%]  will be taken as a reference to an object path [what the
h..l is a reference to a object path] globally [locally would be
possible too?] in the TypoScript object tree [say  we know what
`TypoScript Object tre´ means, otherwise the entire proposition is very
criptic]. This [what is `this´ referring to? the TS object tree, the
value above, parseFunc itself?] will be [future?] the basis
configuration for parseFunc merged with any properties you add here
[where exactly?]. It works exactly like references [link?] does
[plural?] for content elements.
Example: [...]
Default:
ii)
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/current/view/5/8/
Property: useCacheHash
Data type: boolean
If set [=? if usaCacheHas = 1], the additionalParams list is exploded
and calculated into a hashstring appended to the url, like
“&cHash=ae83fd7s87”. When the caching mechanism sees this value [=?
ae83fd7s87], it calculates the same value on the server based on
incoming values in HTTP_GET_VARS, excluding
id,type,no_cache,ftu,cHash,MP values. If the incoming cHash value
matches the calculated value, the page may be cached based on this
[former or latter?].

The [SYS][encryptionKey] is included in the hash in order to make it
[[SYS][encryptionKey] or hash ?]  unique for the server and
non-predictable.
The point is that you need some extra know-how to guess what is meant by
a number od TSref descriptions, it shouldn`t be so.

> I mean some parts of the explanations could be improved a bit, but
> format I think is fine.

format is fine. I do not like the terminology of object, property, and
data-type, but this is another story.

> IMHO what is lacking is a small section of how
> to use the manual (not the information within) and how to cross
> reference between parts of it.

cross reference would be very useful. Something closer to the very handy
php on-line manual would be a great help.

> I would also like to see a new and improved version typoscript by
> example - one that should become a TSref2 type document that has lots of
> examples that correspond to TSref - but again this should not be in
> TSref.

the two on-line versions could be cross linked
> I don't want to have any more un-necessary things in TSref when
> I'm looking for things that I already understand and I just want to
> double check something.

still a wonderful CMS and community
my best mario