[TYPO3] No tutorials? Draft idea attached...

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Fri Oct 6 18:33:06 CEST 2006

Hi
> So I think if we want to make it easier to learn we need to start to
> realise that there are different needs within the CMS, and also
> therefore different documentation needed depending on the need of the
> CMS. So if all the documentation is written from the perspective of the
> high end user or developer (often also one and the same) then that
> doesn't mean the current documentation is at fault, it means that it
> doesn't serve that particular segment of the market/user.

I have never said the documentation is bad, because it isn´t! It
is just not well structured (not even for developers I think). I
myself found very useful newbie information in one of the
documents clearly aimed at developers...

You are right about perspectives, we need to write/organise
documentation in a newbie/editor/administrator perspective. And
if we do I think even developers will benefit, because most of
them start as Typo3 newbies as well (but maybe learn quicker).

> If the documentation is hard to understand for a newbie then why don't
> some of them write documentation that does suit their needs instead of
> expecting others to do it?

Well, we need someone to encourage them, not telling them "stop
complaining. If you don´t like it, make something better
yourself". That´s *not* encouraging!

I have experience from trying to make better structured
documentation, but with no support from the "big guys" you can´t
do any bigger changes - simply because you don´t have any
control over the documents or the current structure on typo3.org.

--

Peter Kindström