[TYPO3] No tutorials?

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed Oct 4 01:20:27 CEST 2006

> This is definitely a developer application and won't make it into the
> mainstream until the documentation issue is dealt with and it has
> been a constant problem for new and intermediate users that has been
> ignored for over three years... don't get me wrong I think Kaspar
> developed a "killer app" and when I came on board it was the ONLY CMS
> that could do what I wanted.... but its time to get it right on ALL
> fronts... even long term users such as myself are looking at the
> other CMS systems and thinking "its so easy to install - should we
> switch?"....

The interesting question here seems to be:
What makes you think TYPO3 should make it into the "mainstream" (whatever
that means) ?
If "easy installation" is one of your key features, TYPO3 might not be the
right tool for you (although it usually doesn't take more than 15 minutes to
make a basic Debian Sarge run TYPO3 without any hassles), but as you already
said: It's still a "killer app" that serves a lot of professionals all
around the world (not only developers) very well.

But - Not every application has been intended to be a mainstream bestseller.
Think of QuarkXpress, 3D-Studio, Cakewalk and compare them to the CorelSuite
or Magix Musicmaker - know what I mean?

BTW: Google tells me there are currently over 200.000 different .de domains
running TYPO3.
Has this something to do with the famous "german engineering" or is it just
the fact that people over here are a bit more assiduous while studying the
documentation, which is definitely available, understandable and helpful?

When I met TYPO3 for the first time, the only stuff I ever "developed" were
some HTML sites and Flash Movies using tons of JavaScript and ActionScript.
We had not even half the amount of documentation and videos available that
you can find on typo3.org today and the 1-2-3 install tool was still far
away.
But still I was able to install the system, understand the basic principles
and create my first test site within a few days - as a complete Newbie.

Today this is much easier to achieve, there is much more material available
as Typo3 page, OO-File, PDF, Video, Tutorial Extension, Wiki Content - you
just have to bring some time to use these tons of stuff.
So if you are still saying: "it's so easy to install - should we switch?" -
the answer might just be "Yes ..." ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de