[TYPO3] No tutorials?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Oct 3 19:59:11 CEST 2006

Hi!

Peter Kindström wrote:
> We have technical writers (and good ones too, I think) but "the big
> guys" where not at all interested in supporting or even listening to them!

"Big guys" are very busy. It takes days and weeks to get answers even to
critical things because they are loaded too much. Simpler problem simply
thrown away because there is no time for them. This is reality
unfortunately.

> We where a bunch of guys trying to make something out of the
> documentation, but noone "authorized" us to do so, so we never came to
> anything but discussing. :-(

I did not ask for authorization to write a guide for mininews extension,
I just wrote it. I plan to rewrite FTB completely and do not ask
authorization, I will just do it.

Why and since when one needs authorization to write something?

> And now that things have changed, noone of the those guys are interested
> anymore...  :-(

I do not really understand what you expected. If you have questions, ask
them! Many people will be happy to answer. I am happy to answer to
anyone who asks about templavoila. There is "dev" list, there is
"english" list. Ask! :)

> So in general I think the problem has been that this community is a
> developer community - writing and usability often come in second place.

Well, if it is so, it is is a big problem for typo3. I feel that
importance of documentation is underestimated but even "big people"
(Kasper himself) is writing documents all the time. And core team cares
very much about keeping core documentation up to date.

Probably one of you (who is still interested) could help me? I would be
happy to work with a technical writer on a new FTB (TemplaVoila
tutorial). I can write it myself, of course, but I am not a professional
writer and I have bugs to fix, new feature to develop, etc. Help of a
professional writer would be very welcome and appreciated. I am ready to
setup environment for playing with typo3 for writers. But writers must
expect to experiment with typo3 a little themselves. Otherwise they
would not be able to get it right.

Interested? ;)

--
Dmitry Dulepov