[TYPO3] concept for the development of a new photobook extension

Luc Franken [TenToday] typo3 at tentoday.com
Fri May 19 14:30:43 CEST 2006

Hello Typo3 people,

After reading the title you might have noticed that I am going to
develop just another Photobook extension. Why? Because I think there
just isn't an extension available which is really great.

What's the problem with the existing extensions:
- No integration with extensions like tt_news. For example: I have a
website with events, why can't I connect a photobook to this event when
the party is over?

- No possibility to add other content to the photobook. Well, some
extensions like goof_photobook let you create a textfile, which you have
to upload, and then it is possible to add some comments which is not
user friendly.

I have 2 ideas, do you have any other ideas or do you think one is
great? Please post all notices, how stupid they like, I don't care ;)

1. Based on the filesystem I create automatically pages and add a plugin
to the page. This makes it very easy to add some text above it etcetera
because it is just a page.
   + very flexible
   +
   + easy integration with tt_news, for example by adding a field to tt_news

   - you get a lot of pages,
   - quite hard to integrate because you need to add page records etcetera

2. Just create a new way how tt_news parses the images. So create
next-previous buttons etcetera.
   + very easy to implement
   + easy to add some other fields because the tt_news extension is
really detailed
   + things like sorting, multiple languages, are all handled already
   - always connected to a tt_news record, is this a disadvantage?

What do you think is easy to use and is a real addition to Typo3? Or is
there another concept you think which is even better?

Thanks for your input!

Best regards,

Luc Franken
TenToday