[TYPO3] concept for the development of a new photobook extension

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri May 19 16:39:41 CEST 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:30:43 +0200, Luc Franken [TenToday] wrote
with subject "[TYPO3] concept for the development of a new photobook
extension":

> Hello Typo3 people,
>
> After reading the title you might have noticed that I am going to
> develop just another Photobook extension. Why? Because I think there
> just isn't an extension available which is really great.
>
> What's the problem with the existing extensions:
> - No integration with extensions like tt_news. For example: I have a
> website with events, why can't I connect a photobook to this event when
> the party is over?
>
> - No possibility to add other content to the photobook. Well, some
> extensions like goof_photobook let you create a textfile, which you have
> to upload, and then it is possible to add some comments which is not
> user friendly.
>

> I have 2 ideas, do you have any other ideas or do you think one is
> great? Please post all notices, how stupid they like, I don't care ;)
>
> 1. Based on the filesystem I create automatically pages and add a plugin
> to the page. This makes it very easy to add some text above it etcetera
> because it is just a page.

page-prototypes?

>    + very flexible
>    +
>    + easy integration with tt_news, for example by adding a field to tt_news
>
>    - you get a lot of pages,
>    - quite hard to integrate because you need to add page records etcetera
>
> 2. Just create a new way how tt_news parses the images. So create
> next-previous buttons etcetera.
>    + very easy to implement
>    + easy to add some other fields because the tt_news extension is
> really detailed
>    + things like sorting, multiple languages, are all handled already
>    - always connected to a tt_news record, is this a disadvantage?
>

> What do you think is easy to use and is a real addition to Typo3? Or is
> there another concept you think which is even better?

I'm thinking of developing my own photobook too. But that could take some
time to get started.
My thoughts 'til now:

* it should be based on the filesystem, so I can upload pictures with ftp
to a new subdir and it this subdir is automaticly a new photobook.

* for every dir there should be a pagable overview with the possibility to
config a maximum of rows and columns per page.

* a hierarchical navigation between the directories

* there should exists the possibility to build links to every view
(overvies, single-view) Get/post-Params

* html-templates, configurable CSS-wrapper

and now some specials:

* hooks for plugins to every photo, every directory:
For adding descriptions and comments. Or a plugin for rating/ commenting by
visitors

* slideshow for singleviews

nice to have:

* possibility to build up a community (FE-upload)

* fe_user/~groups assignment/restrictions to photos/dirs

just a few thoughts

Bernd