[TYPO3] Big application with T3?

Neil Bertram neil at tasmanstudios.co.nz
Tue May 16 06:40:41 CEST 2006

> Do you think, it is a good idea to go in this direction?  Are there
> any drawbacks I will have to face?
>
> Do you know of any other "real applications" based on Typo3?

We've written one large application (a real estate management system and
public marketplace) based on typo3, and I personally found it less than
ideal. I ended up implementing the PEAR DB_DataObject library for ORM in
such a way that it integrates slightly with TCA, then based a whole lot
of AJAX stuff around it.

The main issue I found was that TYPO3's database normalisation is
shocking (as is mentioned on this list all the time) and forces you into
the csv mindset after a while. I think this negatively affected the project.

In the end the project went way over budget and time simply because we
spent so much time tweaking typoscript to render elements correctly, and
because the T3 API isn't the best for creating large-scale OO apps.

In hindsight I wouldn't try it again, I'd use Java or one of the PHP RAD
frameworks (Zend, CakePHP, etc), or maybe even rails.

It would be nice if TYPO3 updated its API to be properly OO, instead of
using classes as namespaces. The whole thing is a complete shambles to
learn and work with. I've been working with typo3 for almost two years
now, so I'm not new to it by any means. I can't wait until everything
goes PHP5 and proper, and starts to resemble Java-like OO instead of
traditional PHP style.

In short, TYPO3 is a great CMS and improving all the time, but don't use
it as an application framework. It's too heavyweight, too hard to learn,
and too restrictive to fill that gap at the moment.

Neil