[TYPO3] typo3 4.0 install

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri May 5 19:34:49 CEST 2006

Hello,

On 5/5/06, edison <edison at tu3w.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No. What I am actually saying is that I have two folders: the old source
> named typo3_src-3.8.0 and the new one named typo3_src-4.0.
>
> Typo3_src-3.8.0 has tslib folder and typo_src-4.0 folder doesn't have it.

Yes, obviously. Search the dev list archive for reasons why.

> When working with 3.8.0 I have installed and configured the template in
> /tslib/media/uploads/crcph (which was place for the preconfigured template).
> But when I upgraded to the new source it doesn't found my template folder
> (since the symlink destination doesn't exist).

So then you WERE using templates in a location that will be
overwritten--or at least absent--when you upgrade. If you've changed
the stuff in /tslib/media/uploads/crcph/ in ANY way, those changes
would have been lost when you upgraded, no matter whether there had
been changes to the symlinks or not. In other words, even if there had
been a crcph directory in the same location in the new source, you'd
still have lost any changes you'd made in the previous version.

> I solved this problem by
> moving the folder crcph from the old source (typo3_src-3.8.0) to the
> fileadmin located in my site folder, but I need to reorganize all the
> references in my typoscript template.
>
> Is there a solution to avoid this extra process?

Yes. Do it right in the first place. The right way is what you're
doing now. You should be doing ANY and ALL customization OUTSIDE of
any directory included in the source packages.

> What (and why) are the main structure differences between typo3 3.8.0 and
> typo3 4.0?

The INTERNAL symlinks were removed. /tslib/ never really existed in
the spot you looked for it in the first place. E.g. in 3.8.1, here's
what you  see in shell inside the typo3_src-3.8.1 directory:

tslib -> typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/

...this means that 'tslib' is a symlink to 'typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/'
in 3.8.1. And if you take a look in the source directory for 4.0,
you'll see that 'tslib' can be found at the same location.

If you are only using the contents of crcph 'as is' (i.e. without
modification), you can solve your problem with one symlink. Your files
are supposed to be located at tslib/media/... relative to the web
root, right? So create a symlink to tslib in the webroot:

ln -s typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/ tslib

But be aware that the static templates like crcph etc are seldom used
these days. It wouldn't surprise me to see them eventually eliminated
from the source altogether--which is another good reason for copying
the files you're using into /fileadmin and changing your templates
accordingly.

-Christopher