[TYPO3] Issue with menus

christian oettinger christian.oettinger at gmx.de
Fri Jun 23 16:30:56 CEST 2006

Hi Akshay,

I'am confused. I think entryLevel is what you need, but you said you
tried. Did you try entryLevel= 0?
EntryLevel It is not related to the level where your template lies, it's
absolute inside you site, giving you the first level of pages. So if you
are using entryLevel=0 it should show exactly the same thing in a setup
on level 0 and in a setup on level 4. So I don't know why you have a
problem. Lets see, step by step, maybe we can find:
Usually I would define a page like the example below. The root page is
used only for start, it usually carries the template setup and is linked
to a domain. So you have only one root page for one domain/site - you
only need a different root page if you have multiple sites on one typo3
installation (like Kasper with typo3.org and typo3.com). The root page
has no content and is just a shortcut, usually to the first Subpage. All
pages shown in the navigation are subpages of this rootpage. These pages
are found with entryLevel=0.

root
     home
     about us
         philosophy
         address
     products
         chairs
         tables
         radios
     contact

No matter if you have a template setup on the page "root" or "home" or
"radios", you should always get the following when using entryLevel=0:

home
about us
products
contact

(In fact if you do not have a template file on page "chairs", it uses
the template of the nearest template setup it can find, so in our exaple
the one of root. So it uses entryLevel=0 also.

(Just tpo be complete: entryLevel=1 is a different thing, it would
produce different outputs, depending which page you look at. Either the
subpage of "about us" or the subpages of "products")

Please write if it does not work for you like this
or if you configured something in a different way
or if I misunderstood again

greetings from munich!

oe