[TYPO3] complex page content select

Tyler Kraft headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 27 21:45:16 CEST 2006

A question on if this is possible...

We have added a field to a table in chc_forum. What it is for is so that
the client can browse to a page that they want to be associated with a
individual specific discussion on the page when that discussion is
viewed. In the new table field we store the uid of a page in the cms
that they have browsed to. So through the BE they can select the page
and it all gets saved to the table and that is all good and works.

Now as forums and discussions are displayed using a get variable, we
would like to use this same get variable to pull out of our new field
the id of the page associated with that specific forum/discussion, and
use it in a select statement to get the left hand content form the page
they have selected, and display it on the page. We need this as all
discussions are displayed on the same page.

So we have the get variable cat_uid=12 which corresponds to a specific
discussion. In discussion 12 they have chosen the page 859.  Using this
cat_uid we want to pull out the id of a page that is saved in our new
field and get the content for the left hand column of page 859.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Can this be done using typoscript, and how do I write my content item
and select?