[TYPO3] Feedback on large site using TYPO3

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sat Jul 15 05:39:46 CEST 2006

Buddha Web wrote:
> Hi TYPO3 community,
>
> We're planning to use TYPO3 for one of our web site, but I'm looking
> for feedback about large site using this great CMS. Does TYPO3 manage
> easily the load or will we have to bring into play many servers :(?
>
> Reference configuration: 100 000 visitors / day for 150 000 000 hits /
> month on a 3GHz bi-xeon with 2GB of RAM.
>
> Thanks for your return !

I think the big question is if you have users logged in into the site.
Of not I don't expect problems and you box can handle that.

If these users are logged in users to your site you will have problems,
TYOP3 doesn't cache any page if a FE user is logged in. This means that
every page is generated over and over and over and over again. Even it
contains 'static' content.

Typo3 is know to be not fast during page generation, but with some care
you can speed it up to
about 30 pages/sec on normal hardware (out of cache). You might want to
consider not using apache
but lighthttpd, although I don't have experiences with that webserver.
of course install a accelerator and a decent version of mysql (with
query cache).

If you have static pages and no logged in users you can use a reverse proxy.

I have one site with about 22.000-50.000 pages hits per day.
The server is s pentium at 700Mhz, but with fast SCSI drives and our DB
server is separated from the webserver.
This is handled easily. make sure the extensions you use don't disable
cache (yes it's possible, yes it's stupid from the extension designer).

what else.... have fun with typo3!!!

--
Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer