[TYPO3] Duplicating content for other languages (TemplaVoila)

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Tue Jan 31 13:40:31 CET 2006

Hi!

Nick Weisser wrote:
> We've just set up a website with many pages and plenty of content in the
> default language. Now we would like to duplicate the content for the
> other languages and then simply change the text for the other languages.

Ok.

> Has anybody done something similar before?

Yes.

> The tables of importance are pages_language_overlay and tt_content as
> far as I can see.

Depends on what you used.

> Any comments about your own experience or general suggestion are very
> much welcome :-)

If you use TemplaVoila and going to translate it, there are two ways.

For ordinary texts (just text, no image), you can use old plain text
element. TV will show you a link that says "Create a copy for
translation". And you will always know what is translated and what is not.

If you use text with image or images, this is worse. Typo3 copies them
each time. So you can end up with two copies for each image. The best
way to avoid it is to use flexible content elements instead of text with
image.

And use typo3 4.0 beta 2 + templavoila from CVS. It handles translations
much better than version 0.4.

Dmitry.