[TYPO3] asian language problem

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Wed Jan 25 13:25:37 CET 2006

Tric Bluewin wrote:
> Now I have several problems.

There are several solutions :)

You can either set:
config.metaCharset and config.renderCharset to the correct charset (as alredy mentioned by Jochen)
depending on the L variable ie:
# English is default language
config.renderCharset = iso-8859-1
config.metaCharset = iso-8859-1
# Traditional Chinese
[globalVar = GP:L = 1]
config.renderCharset = big5
config.metaCharset = big5
# Another language
[globalVar = GP:L = 1]

You find out what the correct value for the charset is by having a look at what charset gets used in the
TYPO3 backend when you switch your user to the "required" language.
Just open a frame shown in the other language in source-view and look at <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" ...>

The same charset must get used when the pages get output in the BE and all BE editors of one language/languate tree
must use the same BE language.

But as this is somehow not everytimes the wanted behaviour (one could also want the english backend but input another
language - I for example already filled in the content of a Japanese site without knowing the language ... and I wanted
to have my BE in english) there's also another possibility.

Whenever I know I have to make a multilanguage site I choose it to be in "utf-8" which is a general charset for all
languages.

To force all be-users to use utf-8 not concerning their language setup (but will be shown correctly) you have to set the
"forceCharset" variable in the install tool.

IF you do this it is the best thing to not have any metaCharset or renderCharset configuration at all ... of course you could
set it to utf-8 but that doesn't change anything.

> 1. ) Chinese: Menus and Text are shown correctly, but not the titles. Somebody told be to unistall CSS styled content EXT, which i did and the titles where shown correctly, but the layout was messed up..so i need to keep CSS style content: example link: http://lemo.travelog.ch/index.php?id=146
>       Japanese: big mess ;-(: Link: http://lemo.travelog.ch/index.php?id=98

There are (were) some problems with JSMENUs and other FE related stuff. This is fixed in 4.0.0 and you are invited to try out
the beta2 available if you want:
http://typo3.org/news-single-view/?tx_newsimporter_pi1%5BshowItem%5D=0&cHash=e4a40a11a9#single

The bug reports about problems with utf-8 are at:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=277

> 2. ) I'm using the  ext Language Selection (sr_language_menu), but in the drop down list chinese and japanese are blank. Here's the url of the page: http://lemo.travelog.ch/index.php?id=7&L=2

I used this extension with "flags" ... it worked properly (with some minor modifications - but that had other reasons :)
So I can't tell you much about the drop-down mode.

> # Defaultsprache 0 -> English
> [globalVar = GP:L =0]
> config.sys_language_uid = 0
> config.language = en
> config.locale_all = english

should be : en_US or en_GB

> }

What is this brace for ?

> # Standardsprache UID 3 -> Chinese
> [globalVar = GP:L = 3]
> config.sys_language_uid = 3
> config.language = ch
> #config.language = EUC-CN
> config.metaCharset=utf-8

correct would be (trad.):
> #config.metaCharset=big5
+ config.renderCharset = big5

> # Standardsprache UID 4 -> Japanese
> [globalVar = GP:L = 4]
> config.sys_language_uid = 4
> config.language = jp
> config.locale_all = jp_JP
> config.metaCharset =  iso-2022-jp

correct (+renderCharset) would be:
shift-jis

But be sure that you do best with forceCharset=utf-8 and defining no meta/renderCharset at all.

But please know that all already inputed content would has to get converted ... as the content in the database
is made up out of different charset, when no forceCharset variable is set, depending on the input-preferences of
the editor it is almost impossible to "clutter" this out of each other so you will most probably loose much of
the content (hope you didn't wrote this message at the end of your project :)

I already pointed this out on the dev list some time ago:
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-dev/2005-September/011929.html

greets,
Bernhard