[TYPO3] asian language problem

Patric Schmid info at virtualvisions.ch
Wed Jan 25 15:01:16 CET 2006

Thx for your help and input!! highly apreciated!

I've forced utf-8 and tried to avoid config.renderCharset and
config.metaCharset in the Language params

just a small question:
what should i write in the line of
config.locale_all = ...
for the chinese language?

again thx for all help!

cheers
Patric

"Bernhard Kraft" <kraftb at kraftb.at> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1138191919.4757.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...
> Tric Bluewin wrote:
> > Now I have several problems.
>
> There are several solutions :)
>
> You can either set:
> config.metaCharset and config.renderCharset to the correct charset (as
alredy mentioned by Jochen)
> depending on the L variable ie:
> # English is default language
> config.renderCharset = iso-8859-1
> config.metaCharset = iso-8859-1
> # Traditional Chinese
> [globalVar = GP:L = 1]
> config.renderCharset = big5
> config.metaCharset = big5
> # Another language
> [globalVar = GP:L = 1]
>
> You find out what the correct value for the charset is by having a look at
what charset gets used in the
> TYPO3 backend when you switch your user to the "required" language.
> Just open a frame shown in the other language in source-view and look at
>
> The same charset must get used when the pages get output in the BE and all
BE editors of one language/languate tree
> must use the same BE language.
>
> But as this is somehow not everytimes the wanted behaviour (one could also
want the english backend but input another
> language - I for example already filled in the content of a Japanese site
without knowing the language ... and I wanted
> to have my BE in english) there's also another possibility.
>
> Whenever I know I have to make a multilanguage site I choose it to be in
"utf-8" which is a general charset for all
> languages.
>
> To force all be-users to use utf-8 not concerning their language setup
(but will be shown correctly) you have to set the
> "forceCharset" variable in the install tool.
>
> IF you do this it is the best thing to not have any metaCharset or
renderCharset configuration at all ... of course you could
> set it to utf-8 but that doesn't change anything.
>
> > 1. ) Chinese: Menus and Text are shown correctly, but not the titles.
Somebody told be to unistall CSS styled content EXT, which i did and the
titles where shown correctly, but the layout was messed up..so i need to
keep CSS style content: example link:
http://lemo.travelog.ch/index.php?id=146
http://lemo.travelog.ch/index.php?id=98

> There are (were) some problems with JSMENUs and other FE related stuff.
This is fixed in 4.0.0 and you are invited to try out
> the beta2 available if you want:

http://typo3.org/news-single-view/?tx_newsimporter_pi1%5BshowItem%5D=0&cHash
=e4a40a11a9#single

> The bug reports about problems with utf-8 are at:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=277
>
> > 2. ) I'm using the  ext Language Selection (sr_language_menu), but in
the drop down list chinese and japanese are blank. Here's the url of the
page: http://lemo.travelog.ch/index.php?id=7&L=2

> I used this extension with "flags" ... it worked properly (with some minor
modifications - but that had other reasons :)
> So I can't tell you much about the drop-down mode.
>
> > # Defaultsprache 0 -> English
> > [globalVar = GP:L =0]
> > config.sys_language_uid = 0
> > config.language = en
> > config.locale_all = english
>
> should be : en_US or en_GB
>
> > }
>
> What is this brace for ?
>
> > # Standardsprache UID 3 -> Chinese
> > [globalVar = GP:L = 3]
> > config.sys_language_uid = 3
> > config.language = ch
> > #config.language = EUC-CN
> > config.metaCharset=utf-8
>
> correct would be (trad.):
> > #config.metaCharset=big5
> + config.renderCharset = big5
>
> > # Standardsprache UID 4 -> Japanese
> > [globalVar = GP:L = 4]
> > config.sys_language_uid = 4
> > config.language = jp
> > config.locale_all = jp_JP
> > config.metaCharset =  iso-2022-jp
>
> correct (+renderCharset) would be:
> shift-jis
>

> But be sure that you do best with forceCharset=utf-8 and defining no
meta/renderCharset at all.

> But please know that all already inputed content would has to get
converted ... as the content in the database
> is made up out of different charset, when no forceCharset variable is set,
depending on the input-preferences of
> the editor it is almost impossible to "clutter" this out of each other so
you will most probably loose much of